Tuesday, January 27, 2004

Some Quotes

The wind begins to die down as I reach the edge of the town, a scattering of homes along dirt roads. The snow is falling, and they say everyone of them is unique. I asked Ms. Corman that at school once and she said that they were al six-sided. Which wasn't really much of an answer. Andrew says that they all began begin the same but change in shape as they drft dowards and connect to other snowflakes, so it would theoretically be possible for two to be exact if they fell and connected to all the right snowflakes, the right weather, the right wind gusts, the exact same spot n the ground. Of course, he also said that we can levitate if all the molecules in the body drift up at the same moment so that we leave the ground. I grinned, remembering her face when he told her that just because things are possible doesn't mean they happen. I think he failed that year.





I snagged an apple off of the bowl on the counter and looked at him. "So what brings you over? I thought we were meeting tomorrow night after I finished work."


Andrew hesitated a moment, as if uncertain, then said "The paper."


"I read it today. What about it?"


"No. I mean, it was late."


"Uhm, Pat is twelve. It's bound to happen sometimes."


"He was four hours late, Pete. And he threw it in front of the garage. He never does that."


"So?"


"So don't you think it's suspicious?" he demanded.


"No. Why would I?"


"It could be -"


"Andrew, please no conspiracies today, okay? I mean, the one about the nuns who are inventing a virus to wipe out all women who are not Raptured and naming it Pandora was a bit much."


"It exists," Andrew said firmly. "The government -"


"Made it? Paid for it? Thinks it has the antidote but is secretly infiltrated by an order of nuns disguised as call girls?"


"Very funny, Pete."


"No, really," I said, beginning to warm to the theme and looking over at the phone. "They have cell phones and call 463 - 3266. Or, GOD - DAMN, for orders."


"Area code 666?" Andrew said dryly.


"How'd you guess? I know - you're one of them! A nun in disguise!"






"Teachers are different," Rachel Tanner said firmly. "They aren't people."

No comments:

Post a Comment