Friday, June 16, 2006

Final Smoke Before Fire

I took a last drag of cancer
Let the stick fall to my side.
It didn't seem fair to be living
Without you by my side.

Fifty years of smoking
More than a pack a day
But when the Lord came
He took you far away.

I sat beside your white bed
Day after day after day
It wasn't penance enough
And I'll pay and pay and pay.

Fifty years of smoking
And a heart full of sorrow
I won't be visiting your bed
When I wake up tomorrow.

Age is seeing things you love
And watching them fall away
Until nothing holds you here
And you hurt too much to stay.

Fifty years of smoking
And it put you in the ground
Every time I try to cry
I never seem to make a sound.

It's too late now to mourn
All the things that never were
All I can say is when I die
I can't face the devil sober.

Fifty years of loving you
And now just an empty bed
Only the bitter prayer asking
Why didn't He take me instead?

No comments:

Post a Comment