Sunday, November 14, 2010

bits that don't make the first draft...

These are bits I write during sections that elicit a chuckle and then get deleted after. (I don't hold with the 'keep all deleted stuff in a file/never delete!' nano aspect, but that's me, so they die.)

And so, for the sake of the future ..

From nano #1:
"I just get ticked off at people like that. Saying there is no God, by whatever name we give it, as if the entire universe has no kind of plan, no order, and was just being created while we sat here by someone trying to reach 42,00 words (who has realized typing that out would have netted more words) and also that this entire paragraph will not be in any draft after this, amen."

And written today while working on #2:
“Look, the author of this story doesn't find those things important. You could just as well ask me my favourite colour, but he doesn't give a shit about whatever hobbies I might have. We're just vehicles for prose and not real people at all. The bastard.”


I do think it would suit the spirit of nano to do an entire story breaking the fourth wall, though... perhaps next year.

2 comments:

  1. Heh, I had one of those. They were starting up the main dedication ritual, and the character had to say something dedication-like that took into account everything about why they were all there and what they were doing ... and I couldn't do it right then. So I wrote something like:

    "[a bunch of notes that needs to go into the speech]", said Allen, only more eloquently.

    :)

    ReplyDelete