Saturday, October 14, 2006

After An Ending

If it is worth doing, worth doing badly
Is possible too, and as worthy a thing.
There was the way you looked
At me, seeing only me, and
Nothing more.

I looked in vain for proof you'd seen beyond me.
That you'd made up myths and loved me
As I loved you, saying: you are my one, my only,
The last star I see before each day's dawning.

But you, resplendent in gold
And silver, green eyes frosty
Chilled as the champagne glass
Lick ruby lips and tell me,
"It is over."

I wait for a laugh, something to break the ice
In your gaze and the hold in my world.
You just handed me pages, and papers,
And the lilacs were blooming as I wrote.

And I know that everything
Ends, that time takes from us
Even love; but never our memories
If we are careful, and treasure them
Too tight.

No comments:

Post a Comment