Saturday, June 22, 2013

flash fiction friday: savage times we live in

And this Friday's prompt from the monkey (though in this case I did it today because no idea came to me last night).

"It was just after lunch when the monkeys attacked."

"Sweet Jesus," Chester said, rightly horrified, though perhaps not quite enough to justify taking the name of the Lord in vain.

"I know. Monkeys! Can you believe it?" Lady Swindon would have swooned, but the jungles of grimiest Africa lacked swooning couches suitable for any lady even in the primitive lodgings they had been offered.

"I trust you managed to fight them off?"

"My son Richard fired off his gun and they scattered away like savages always do."

"Savages, good lady?"

"But of course." Lady Swindon let out a well-bred huff. "Spears are no match for guns, my good sir. Why, the very Empire would fall apart if that were true!"

"Oh, I say." Though no peer of the realm, Chester was kin to several and much interested in the natural sciences, so felt able to vouchsafe a mighty cough. "We cannot call the natives monkeys any more, Lady Swindon. It is simply not done."

"Well, however shall I tell my friends in London about this dastardly turn of events then?"

"Pygmies."

1 comment: