Monday, December 18, 2017

Night Magics

The magician smiles the slow, satisfied smile of one who has not known hunger in so long they’ve half-forgot what it is. “It’s simple, really. There are cities with night mayors. This city is large enough that I am its night magician. And you, wandering magician, have no authority or power here.”

He does not scream, Jacob Moor, but there is a tightness under his smile.

“I imagine it has been some time since anyone has told you no. And it is true that I have no power here over you.” I pause a beat. “However, I do have a Jay.”

Jay appears at the mention of his name, his grin wide and delighted. “Hi!”

“Pardon? Calling a human child through our wards -.”

“Not human. Nor fae. Jay, would you mind not hiding for a moment?”

“But I’m really jaysome at it, Honcho!”

“Even so.”

Jay let’s out a huge, put-upon sigh. And a moment later the world shudders. He does bindings that hold everything together without thinking, preventing the universe from feeling pain as a singularity of jaysome simply is, more real than anything else around it, a presence a joyous crushing.

Magic is too small against it. Reality too small. There are forms. Shapes. Dimensions. And then it’s just Jay again, everything else hidden. “My nose itched, Honcho,” he informs me.

I decide to find out what Jay means by that later. “You were saying something, Jacob?”

Jacob Moor stumbles back. One step. Another. “Abomination,” he cries out.

“Oh? Where?!” Jay looks about in confusion.

“Charlie might know?” I suggest.

“I bet it was Charlie!” And Jay vanishes before I can say another word.

“A night magician is not a poor idea. Several cities have done this. But you must take care that the darkness does not enthral you,” I say softly and Jacob pales at what he hears in my voice.

“How many night magicians have you spoken with?” Jacob asks.

“Every single one. You’re the third I had to invoke Jay for. Talk to others and make certain you are the last.”


He nods and walks away unsteadily. I leave as well, feeling old and tired. I take no pleasure into turning myself into a bogeyman for other magicians to speak of. But sometimes the world offers no other choices, not even to a magician.

No comments:

Post a Comment