Sunday, December 17, 2017

Writing amusement...

Soo. I'm working on the rough, rough outlines of a world and novel. It is, probably, entirely unpublishable through conventional means due to the plot. Seriously. There are major plot ideas in the setting that simply cannot be part of most modern urban fantasy/weirdness. Which is part of the challenge, I admit. I tend to write a handful of short stories getting into character's heads before a novel, and writing the first one for this made a) the story no longer canon and b) me revise certain aspects of the setting entirely.

Because one of the things that is always in the back of my head is 'how is this different from other things I've done?'  And there are certain ideas I use again - with different variations - but this time I realized I both didn't want to tread that water and that it doesn't fit the setting at all.

So everything is necessarily more complicated, but in a good way. Otoh, my three pages of notes on how one society operates is semi-redundant now but I can always reuse it with another idea later on. No writing is ever wasted, even if it feels like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment