Sunday, January 08, 2006

Down Suicide Way

A stranger came up to me
With eyes of faded shades
And told me that he knew me
And of the life I'd made.

He said he was here to tell me
Of a truth that would not fade
He told me of all I wanted to be
And left me feeling quite afraid.

I asked his name; he smiled at me
From the face his wrinkles made.
He told me of dreams I'd never see
And hopes I had betrayed.

Wan and old the old man seemed
Though his voice was soft and low.
He said he was more than he seemed
But then it's always so.

He laughed and his eyes gleamed
Pale in the winter snow.
He told me secrets I had dreamed
And forgotten long ago.

He whispered his name.; it seemed
The world went still as I said: "No."
He said even I could be redeemed
And then I turned to go.

And I stared awhile after me
But no cry or move I made.
Then I laughed and was redeemed
But for what I dare not know.

1 comment: