Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year!

Winter in the City
(December 2005)
Josh MacLeod

It was winter in the city
All the girls, they looked too pretty
But I had eyes for you alone
Watching call display on my phone

And when you called me baby
I swear that I could see
A star falling from the sky
Shining bright as your eyes

And we spoke together
Though afterwards I never
Recalled what we’d said so true
Beyond the first “I love you”

And they rang in the new year, darling
With ribbons and streamers, O darling
And I cheered along with them
Like I never would again.

How was I to know, Baby
No one came to save me
No one to love me, only to tell me
Only to tell me what would never be

Only to tell me that you
Didn’t make it home, it’s true
Never even saw the rising sun
Would never see another one

You said you were drunk on love
But I don’t think you thought of
What it would do to me
To be without you, just me.

And sometimes, late at night
When the stars are Oh! too bright
And my face is pale and drawn
Too scared to face the dawn

I wait for you to call me on the phone
I wait for you to call me home
I never erased the number
I never forgot to remember

I’ve cried for you every year
Greeting the new year with a tear
So I’m waiting for you to call me
So I can say I’m sorry

No comments:

Post a Comment