Saturday, June 30, 2012

An update I did not expect to have ...

Managed to hit 50K last night on Boy & Fox, largely because the story is almost done. I have to figure out the final major scene, which -- along with the scene after it -- should be about 5K. I know a few things to change in the next draft, namely that Tychus has to show up more often and Do More Stuff, but I shall finally have a finished first draft to build onto for this story. The scaffolding works, the plot works pretty well though I need Reynard to be wrong about things more often and will need beta readers to figure out if the one secret is as obvious to the reader as I think it is.

(Essentially, there is a secret about Boy that the reader should figure out long before Boy does, and probably before some of the characters in the novel do. While it seems obvious to me, I'm well aware I wrote the story with that secret behind it so my view on 'obvious' is, frankly, skewed.)

I plan to wait on it a month or so, print it off, and then do the second draft after that -- which, unlike all my second drafts of late, will  NOT be a rewrite from scratch -- and then lob the result at the writing group and see what they turn it into :)

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Congrats Alcar! And yes I'm totally up for a swap when you're done!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely :) I know what needs work in the story before it can be sent out,l but it IS a damn draft done and finished ... and only 51K :p

      Delete